Thursday, September 3, 2009

Petticoats, Fish and Other Such Tales

This was a few months coming. Coming back and rejoining the ranks of the blog world. Not as I once but I who I now am. Metaphorically speaking (Cami this one's for you!), I had outgrown my blogging clothes and as much as I loved them, and was comfortable in them, change in the blogging wardrobe world was called for.

I love the chance to continually reinvent myself. Keep what I love and edit out my not-so-favorite. Honestly, I love change. In fact I may be TOO comfortable with change. Well, let me rephrase that. I love change that I, make that a big fat capital I, initiate and or see coming. Don't love the change that is put upon me without my consent, my imput, my call, my knowing. That kind of change puts me in a state of pure and utter "fish out of water." For those of you who have been on the other side of either initiating that change or watching me deal (attempting to deal?), you can vouch for that. BUT I deal none-the-less and get through and that's all I ask of myself and my client's. Just get through and keep going...doesn't have to be graceful.

Alright, changing gears. Petticoats. Curious maybe? Hopefully? Banking on the fact that there may even a bit of a spark of interest, I'll take it. The Petticoat. A fashion function that has been abundantly overlooked and a necessity in all things women and wardrobe. Historically it was a formed and structured slip of sorts that cinched the waist and gave life and body to the ensemble. Modern day I tend to think of it as all the lingerie under-workings that keep us in place. The outer garment gets all the glory but without the PETTICOAT there would be no glory in the outerwear.

Think 1987. What were you wearing under that stunning hotpink number you had? Would you really have been able to pull off the dress accented by a killer one-side-up perfectly ratted do, triangle earrings, a singular glove and fluorescent yellow stelletos without whatever was going on underneath? If you are saying yes right now, I don't buy it. Either your memory has lapsed and become much too idealistic or you unfortunately or fortunately didn't go to the prom. BUT my broader point is this. The Petticoat is what makes the clock tick, the fountain flow, the pop rocks crackle--the underneath that few people see but makes life happen.

And that is my springboard. The platform of pulling the curtains aside so I can see what's underneath. I LOVE finding out what's underneath. I LOVE moving beyond the standard greeting of, "Hey how was your day?" "Good." To a curious conversation of "Good? Why..." I like to get in. I like to know. I like to question.

Me? I've always been a curious one. In fact I was probably the annoying child that asked why to each answer I was given to a prior question. And today that lives on. But now I'm in positions where I get to gain new perspective and be curious about scenarios I have been on the opposing side of. As a new mama I feel like I am getting to see the other side of life that I knew about but wasn't fully able to see prior to having children. As a wife, I feel like I was let in to the "secret" that all those seasoned couples know when they come to your wedding but let you discover for yourself. And as a social worker, that's what I do, I get to join incredible people in a mutual process of unearthing of what's inside.

So much in store for this new little blog chapter. Can't wait. Very excited. Good to be back. Nice to feel a little more comfortable if I am "virtually" discovered by people in my profession world. With that I'm outta here. I've got real life to live.

3 comments:

  1. Love the concept. Great visual. You are very much a person that looks deeper to whats underneath a person. I am so lucky to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can offer your site up to your clients in the ER if you want, just for fun. I think a lot of them spend time at the library, where there are computers. (I really am not a jerk to those reading this that don't know me).

    Glad to have you back and can't wait for the blog post that you've been working on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin, bravo! I love this and you. Stop being so fascinating. I don't have enough time to FB and read all this great stuff.

    ReplyDelete