Sunday, September 27, 2009

Maybe Abercrombie Isn't the ONLY one...


And now for my big hang up with Halloween. I started noticing a switch in Halloween back in 1997 when I went to the legendary Utah State campus wide Halloween party. (It's probably always been this way but it was a switch from me and my little world.) As I was walking down the hallway in my police outfit complete with baton and cuffs toward the music and fun I kept passing witches, bunnies, fire women but all of these had one thing in common--they all had sexual flair! So no longer were you just be a bunny, or a witch or a priness but a slutty bunny or a slutty witch or a slutty princess. In fact I was just talking to a friend's little sister who was up there a last year and they went as old men and really were probably the only non-slutty something or others at that party.

Saturday I got this ad from Halloween USA and two things happened:
1. I smirked, shook my head because really, nothing new here with the girls
costumes, not creative and uninspiring.
2. I was bummed by the "sugar and spice and everything nice section" because
now they are sexualizing the tweens and teens. I don't think there is anything
sugary or spicy about that what-so-ever.

Really? A sexy strawberry shortcake? A sexy ninja or whatever she is? Are there mother's out there that are really letting their daughter's walk out the door in these costumes? I really hope not and if so, what party are they going to after they finish all their homework where they are acceptable? All I can say is if a slutty anything comes a knockin' at my door the only candy I will be giving out will come in the form of..."get in here and get some clothes on! Let's talk about the true essence of you NOT what you think the essence of you needs to be in order to get attention." I'll probably also make a house visit and offer 2 free initial sessions of therapy: one for the child and one for the parent's.

In an effort to do my part to get Halloween back to it's roots of CREATIVE costumes, I thought I'd write up some costumes I have seen or heard of and list them here for those out there that feel the need to be a sexy something. I personally think there is nothing sexier than a confident girl with some creativity who dares to go against the apparent sexy Halloween trend.

In no particular order:

1-Chia Pet (grown with real grass)
2-Juno
3-Yo Gabba Gabba
4-A Shower (thanks Karate Kid)
5-Scuba Steve
6-The Golden Girls
7-Teen Wolf (complete with wolf suit, basketball outfit and tennis shoes)
8-Speed Walkers
9-Nausea
10-Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac

Happy Monday

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. It makes me sad to see young girls being sexualized so early. Its just not right.

    ReplyDelete